City of Inverness
Visit Inverness, the Capital of the Scottish Highlands, to find your extra special memory of your Highland holiday. You will have plenty to enjoy when you are in Inverness here are just a selection of attractions you can visit in Inverness City Centre.
The Past to Present
From the past to the present you can now visit the new Inverness Castle North Tower Viewing Platform for views up and down the River Ness! Then visit the Highland Museum in Inverness city centre for a history of the city and the surrounding areas it is worth a walk round. Nearby is Inverness Castle used as a Courthouse or cross back over the river to St Andrews Cathedral. Just outside Inverness is Fort George a working Garrison which dates back just after the 1745 Battle of Culloden. Make sure to include a visit to Fort George, the mightiest artillery fortification in Britain and it is still in use today, the majority of the grounds are open to the public. Following the 1746 defeat at Culloden, King George 11 created the ultimate defense against further Jacobite unrest and the result was Fort George. The garrison buildings contain a superb collection of military equipment providing a fascinating insight into 18th Century military life.
Which links neatly to a visit the updated National Trust for Scotland Culloden Battlefield Visitors Centre an excellent centre which brings to life the history and struggles of the time of the Battle of Culloden. The visitors centre focuses on living history and brings to life the battle. The battle lines have been redrawn at the new Culloden battlefield experience, with the site restored as closely as possible. The whole family has the opportunity to imagine that fateful day of April 16th 1746 the bloodiest battle fought with 1,200 men dead in the first hour and the final confrontation of the Jacobite Rising. You can enjoy an interactive exhibition, take a battlefield tour, listen to the sounds of battle, see the grave sites of the many who died on that fateful day. Watch the daily living history presentations which bring the battle to life. Its impossible not to feel the pull of the past. For all the information on opening times, tours and entrance fees please link to NTS Culloden
Remember Inverness Highland Games is on Saturday 21st July 2018. And the easy fun way to get round Inverness is to hop on and off the Inverness Sightseeing Bus. For a full listing take time to download your free Visitor Attraction Guide.
Shop til you Drop
Inverness is modern bustling city with a great selection of shops for some retail therapy. There are just a few you can take advantage of the Eastgate Centre with department stores Debenhams & Marks & Spencers. Fashion stores include H&M, Monsoon, Laura Ashley and Phase Eight. Or visit the Victorian Market for traditional small shops selling local produce from silver craft to delicious handmade local Belgian chocolates the market dates back to 1876 so worth a visit. There is also a great selection of local shops with visitors gifts around the town centre so make sure you walk round. New link for more on Shopping in Inverness and surrounding areas.
With family and friends…
If you are visiting with family and friends here is just a little list of some of the things you can do…
- Visit Floral Hall & Whin Park Boating Pond for a leisurely afternoon.
- Entertaining kids try the Roller Bowl, Inverness Ice Rink, Aqua Dome with Mini Golf, Tramploine Park or Frankie and Lola’s for little ones soft play.
- There are a variety of Walking Tours around Inverness. You can enjoy an evening stroll along the River to Ness Islands or perhaps a stroll along the Canal.
- Enjoy a day at Nairn Beach or Fortrose & Rosemarkie Beach – all you need are your buckets and spades more info see Family Fun.
- Take the kids on a themed walks around Abriachan.
- Closer to the Palace is Whin Park including boating pond and train station for kids to have a train ride. Bellfield Park has a kids paddling pool.
- Robertsons Larder and Kids Farm just outside Beauly with a Kids farm too!
- For theatre,comedy and all events see Eden Court Theatre and Ironworks
- For all Events see the Whats on Page & download the Visitor Attraction Guide.